Database of Arbitrators and Mediators
The MIAC Database features a global pool of both highly experienced and new arbitrators as well as mediators, drawn from civil and common law jurisdictions around the world.
In creating an online Database, MIAC aims to create a useful resource to users, and at the same time bring to the fore the recognized talent of arbitrators and mediators from Africa, Asia, and beyond.
The Database is freely accessible to the public for assistance in identifying appropriate arbitrators for specific cases. Appointments by the MIAC appointing authority may also draw upon, but would not be limited to, the Database. While MIAC encourages qualified individuals to join the Database, inclusion in the Database does not entail an endorsement or certification by MIAC.
Dr. Nneka Emilia Onyema
SOAS University of London
Nationality: British, Nigerian
Country: United Kingdom
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Languages: English (Native)
Experience as sole arbitrator: Yes , 6 cases
Experience as co-arbitrator: Yes , 2 cases
Experience as presiding arbitrator: Yes , 1 cases
Experience as counsel in arbitration proceedings: Yes , 1 cases
Experience as Mediator: No
Legal systems: Common Law
Bar Admission: Nigeria,1989 , England & Wales, 2002
Fields of arbitration specialization: Distribution/Franchising, Finance & Banking, Investment law, Real Estate, Sales & Purchases, Shipping & Commodities
1. Emilia Onyema (ed) Rethinking the Role of African National Courts in Arbitration, Kluwer Law International, 2018, 417 pages.
2. Emilia Onyema (ed), The Transformation of Arbitration in Africa: The Role of Arbitral Institutions, Kluwer Law International, 2016, 209 pages.
3. Emilia Onyema, International Commercial Arbitration and the Arbitrator’s Contract, Routledge Cavendish, 2010, 257 pages.
Articles in Refereed Journals:
4. Emilia Onyema, “African Participation in the ICSID System: Appointment and Disqualification of Arbitrators”, ICSID Review – Foreign Investment Law Journal (2020).
5. Emilia Onyema, “Reimagining the Framework for resolving Intra-African Commercial Disputes in the Context of the African Continental Free Trade Area Agreement”, World Trade Review (2019), pp 1-25.
6. Emilia Onyema, “Regional Arbitration Institution for ECOWAS: Lessons from OHADA Common Court of Justice and Arbitration” (2014) Int’l ALR Issue 5, pp 99-111.
7. Emilia Onyema, “The Multi-door Court House (MDC) Scheme in Nigeria: a case study of the Lagos MDC”, (2013) vol 7 No 2 Apogee Journal of Business, Property & Constitutional Law, pp 96-129.
8. Onyema, “The New Ghana ADR Act 2010: A Critical Overview”, (2012) vol 28 no 1, Arbitration International”, pp 101-124.
9. Emilia Onyema, “A critique of the New 2009 Arbitration Law of Lagos State”, (2010) vol 2 no 5, Apogee Journal of Business, Property & Constitutional Law, pp 1-24.
10. Emilia Onyema, ‘Enforcement of Arbitral Awards in Sub-Sahara Africa’, (2010) vol 26 no 1, Arbitration International, pp 115-138 – translated into Chinese for a Chinese Journal in 2010.
11. Emilia Onyema, ‘The doctrine of Separability under Nigerian Law’, (2009) vol 1 no 1, Apogee Journal of Business, Property & Constitutional Law, pp 65-79.
12. Emilia Onyema, ‘Arbitration under the Ohada Regime’, (2008), vol 11 no 6, International Arbitration Law Review, pp 205-218.
13. Emilia Onyema, ‘Empirically Determined Factors in Appointing Arbitrators in International Commercial Arbitration’, (2007) vol 73 no.2, Arbitration 199 – 207.
14. Emilia Onyema, ‘The Role of the International Arbitral tribunal Secretary’, Vindobona Journal, (2005) vol 9 no 1, pp 99-110.
15. Emilia Onyema, ‘Selection of Arbitrators in International Commercial Arbitration’, (2005) vol 8 no 2, International Arbitration Law Review, pp 45-54.
16. Emilia Onyema, ‘Power Shift in International Commercial Arbitration Proceedings’, (2004) vol 14 nos1&2, Caribbean Law Review, pp 62-77.
17. Emilia Onyema, ‘Drafting an Effective Arbitration Agreement in International Commercial Contracts’, (2003) vol 7 no 2, Vindobona Journal, pp 277- 286.
18. Emilia Onyema, ‘The Use of Med-Arb in International Commercial Dispute Resolution’, (2001) vol 12 no 3-4, American Review of International Arbitration, pp 411- 423. Chapter in Books/collections:
19. Emilia Onyema, “OHADA Arbitration and Common Law African Countries”, in A. Ngwanza (ed), Vingt ans d’arbitrage OHADA: bilan et perspectives, LexisNexis, 2019, pages 427-441.
20. Onyema E, “Shifts in Dispute Resolution Processes of West African States” in Moscati A, Roberts M, & Palmer M (eds) Comparative Dispute Resolution Research Handbook (Edward Elgar Publishing, 2020).
21. Onyema E, “The Role of African Courts and Judges in Arbitration” in Onyema E (ed) Rethinking the Role of African National Courts in Arbitration, Kluwer Law International (Wolters Kluwer, 2018)
22. Onyema E, “The Jurisdictional Tensions Between Domestic Courts and Arbitral Tribunals” in Menaker, Andrea (ed) International Arbitration and the Rule of Law: Contribution and Conformity, ICCA Congress Series No 19, Kluwer (2017) pp 481-500
23. Onyema E, “Arbitration Institutions in Africa” in Emilia Onyema (ed), The Transformation of Arbitration in Africa: The Role of Arbitral Institutions, Kluwer Law International (2016), pp 15-43.
24. Onyema E, “Introduction” in Emilia Onyema (ed), The Transformation of Arbitration in Africa: The Role of Arbitral Institutions, Kluwer Law International (2016), pp 1-11.
25. Onyema E, “Commentary on the Arbitration Rules of the Lagos Regional Centre for International Commercial Arbitration”, in Mistelis L. & Shore L. (eds), 3rd edition, World Arbitration Reporter, (2015) Juris Publishers, USA (2015).
26. Onyema E, “International Arbitration in the West African States”, a chapter in Lise Bosman (ed) Practitioners’ Guide to Arbitration in Africa, Kluwer, 2013.
27. Emilia Onyema & Oluwaseye O Ayinla, “Online Negotiation and Mediation” in E Azinge & C Ani (eds) Principles of Negotiation and Mediation, NIALS Publ, 2012, pp 96-140.
28. Emilia Onyema, ‘Commentary on the arbitration rules of the Lagos Regional Centre for International Commercial Arbitration’, in L. Mistelis & L. Shore (eds), 2nd edition, World Arbitration Reporter, Juris Publishers, USA, 2010.
29. Emilia Onyema, ‘Formalities of the Enforcement Procedure’ in Emmanuel Gaillard & Domenico Di Pietro (eds) Recognition and Enforcement of Arbitration Agreements and International Arbitral Awards – the New York Convention in Practice, (2008) Cameron May, pp 595 – 610.
30. Emilia Onyema, “Online Commentary on Articles 45 and 46 of the Vienna Convention on the International Sale of Goods, 1980” (CISG) available on http://www.ccisg.org/
31. Emilia Onyema, The Role of the International Arbitral tribunal Secretary’, (2005) vol 2 Issue 3 Transnational Dispute Management, available at http://www.transnational-dispute-management.com/samples/toc.asp?key=8
32. Emilia Onyema (2008), Introduction to International Commercial Arbitration, a workbook for the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, pp 1-77.